TFAS100+3: Juried Members’ Exhibit – Call for Entries
Download a PDF of the TFAS100+3 Prospectus. Application deadline: 5 p.m., July 3, 2020.
More than $3,000 in awards, including a Purchase Award for an outstanding artwork to become part of the Toledo Federation of Art Societies Collection, joining over 70 years of outstanding Toledo-regional art.
TFAS100+3 is a juried exhibition open to all independent members of the Toledo Federation of Art Societies. Independent membership and a TFAS artist directory listing on the TFAS100.org website, is included in the entry fee.
Following the guidelines of the original TFAS exhibits over 100 years ago, all submitted work must be available for purchase.
- July 3, 2020: Application deadline
- August 7, 2020: Notification of acceptance
- August 29 – 31, 2020: Artwork received at 20 North Gallery, by appointment
- October 9 – December 26, 2020: Exhibition dates
- Opening Reception & Award Ceremony: Friday, October 9, 6 – 9 p.m.
- People’s Choice Award to be presented: TFAS Annual Members’ Reception, November 7, 2020
About the Show
TFAS 100+3: Juried Members’ Exhibit is a juried, all-media exhibition hosted by 20 North Gallery in Toledo, Ohio and open to artists in the Toledo / Northwest Ohio / Southeast Michigan regions.
Artwork selected by a distinguished guest juror: Brian Byrn, Director & Curator of Midwest Museum of American Art, Elkhart, Indiana
This all-media competition is open to artists 18 years of age and older in the Toledo/Northwest Ohio/Southeast Michigan regions. Each entrant may submit up to three (3) works of art, no more than two (2) of which may be selected for exhibition. Submitted artwork must be original in concept and execution, as well as created within the last three (3) years.
Artists submitting work for exhibition are not required to have previously been independent members of the Toledo Federation of Art Societies (TFAS), but shall accept that application to the exhibition includes one (1) year of independent membership in the organization. Current independent members of TFAS applying for exhibition shall receive one (1) additional year of independent membership upon receipt of their application fee. All independent members of TFAS will be listed in the TFAS Artist Directory on the tfas100.org website.
TFAS 100+3: Juried Members’ Exhibit is a new project of the Toledo Federation of Art Societies (TFAS). TFAS was established in 1917 with the mission to unite area arts organizations, promote area artists, and maintain a permanent collection of Toledo area artists’ work.
- During the exhibit, TFAS will promote engagement and exhibited artists’ involvement at public events occurring at the exhibit, including downtown Toledo Art Loops and the TFAS Annual Members’ Reception, November 7, 2020.
- 20 North Gallery regular exhibition hours are Wednesday—Saturday, from noon to 4 p.m.
- A printed exhibition catalogue will be created including: images of all accepted artwork, award-winners, artist and exhibition information. The catalogue will be available for sale during the exhibition.
- Application deadline is July 3, 2020.
- Notifications of accepted work will be sent by August 7, 2020.
- All artwork must have been created within the last three (3) years.
- All artwork submitted must be original work by the artist: No kit work, hosted group-painting subjects or reproduction prints of original works.
- All submitted work must be for sale and suitable for display in a commercial venue. 20 North Gallery reserves the right to have final determination regarding inclusion/exclusion of specific works that may pose a hazard or hardship to the gallery, its staff and patrons or business model.
- All submission materials, including artwork images, will be submitted electronically.
- All 2D entries must be suitably finished (such as matte/frame/canvas wrap, etc.) for presentation: wired for hanging (brackets, saw-tooth bars or Swiss clips are not acceptable); no scratches on frames, mattes, or Plexiglas. Non-conventional wall-hanging pieces must have their hanging devices included. Works on paper must be glazed. It shall be at the discretion of gallery staff to not accept/install any artwork for which framing/hanging is deemed to be unsatisfactory.
- Size restrictions for submitted/exhibited work: 2D artwork may not exceed 48” in any dimension; 3D artwork may not exceed 24”W x 24”D x 72”H and may weigh no more than 100 lbs.
- No work will be accepted that requires the artist to be present for installation.
- 20 North Gallery shall exclusively handle submission materials, artist communication and contracts, juror communication, artwork intake, installations and release of artwork.
- TFAS has exclusive responsibility and management of the collection of submission fees. 100% of submission fee income shall go to TFAS for the purpose of furthering their community programming.
- The artist accepts that, if selected for exhibition, the work will remain on display for the duration of the exhibition, December 26, 2020.
- 20 North Gallery reserves the right to release/publish images of the accepted work for the purposes of publicizing the exhibit and promoting the artists’ work to potential purchasers.
- 20 North Gallery typically receives a 50% commission on sales, however for this exhibit: 20 North Gallery will retain a 45% commission fee from artwork sales; artist to receive 45% of artwork sales; as a non-profit organization, TFAS will receive 10% of artwork sales—comprising a joint tax-deductible contribution from 20 North Gallery and the artists.
- Payment of artists’ commission (45%) for any sales will be made by 20 North Gallery within 30 days of the close of the exhibit.
Juried honors include over $3,000 total in awards, including a Purchase Award of up to $1,500. The Purchase Award will enable the acquisition of an outstanding artwork for the prestigious Toledo Federation of Art Societies’ permanent public collection, acquired from 1948 to the present.
Application, Payment & Required Material Checklist
Complete the on-line Application on the TFAS website in-full, which includes the following 5 items. These items may also be used for the membership directory and exhibition catalogue. Submission is not complete until all application items have been uploaded and the non-refundable $40 submission fee is paid via PayPal or Credit Card through the TFAS website by Friday, July 3, 2020 at 5 p.m.
- Up to 3 pieces of work, no more than 2 of which may be selected for exhibition.
Details on selecting and pricing your work is available on the TFAS ProResources webpage.
- Digital images – One image of each submitted work, as well as one optional detail image, for a total of no more than four images. If accepted, images may be used in exhibition publicity and to assist potential sales of the work.
- Images of 2D work must be photographed without glazing (glass) and may not include the frame unless it is an integral part of the piece. Ideally the image should be photographed before framing and without glass. Poor quality images make it impossible for the judge to determine the quality of the original work, resulting in the work being disqualified.
- Details on photographing work, as well as a list of area art photographers, are available on the TFAS ProResources webpage
- Image files must be labeled accordingly: Artist’s last name_first name_title of work_date of completion_medium
- Images must be submitted in JPG format, of at least 300 DPI, with the largest dimension being 2000 pixels. Transmitted file should be no larger than 2MB per image.
Details on working with image files are available on the TFAS ProResources webpage
- Professional Artist Resume/CV – (Word document or pdf)
Details on writing a professional resume/CV are available on the TFAS ProResources webpage.
- Brief Biography – outlining applicant’s personal and artistic experience (Word document preferred, one-page maximum, in paragraph format)
Details on writing a professional biography are available on the TFAS ProResources webpage.
- Current Artist Statement – Statement describing the current works submitted, as well as the evolution of your work (Word document preferred, one-page maximum, in paragraph format)
Details on writing a professional artist statement are available on the TFAS ProResources webpage.
TFAS is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit entity under the Nonprofit Corporation Law of the Ohio Revised Code.