Philip Hazard artwork currently on view at 20 North Gallery
For purchase inquiries, please contact 20 North Gallery:
419-241-2400 or email@example.com
Philip Hazard holds a B.A. from the University of Toledo (Ohio) in Film and Design and studied screenwriting and film directing at Tisch School of the Arts (New York University, New York City). He received his M.F.A. degree from Bowling Green State University (Ohio) in 2007. A native of Toledo, Hazard lived in New York City for over 25 years, co-founding the Let There Be Neon studio and being inspired by the energized and gritty sides of a big city aesthetic. He also maintained an independent studio in Tucson, Arizona for many years. His diverse personal life experiences influence the content and subject matter of his multi-layered mixed media work, in which he combines and layers oil and acrylic paint, photographic silkscreen, mixed media collage and assemblage on canvas, with neon used as the focus and emphasis within his work.
Hazard’s artwork has been exhibited nationally and internationally. His artwork has been published in multiple books and magazines, including the books Tools as Art, Contemporary Neon and the Japanese magazine Pronto. His artwork is included in numerous public and private collections including the National Building Museum (Washington, D.C.) and the U.S. Embassy in Nepal (Katmandu).
Philip Hazard also has a background in film and theatre. He has written and directed films that have been screened at the Ann Arbor Film Festival (Michigan) and on public television. Hazard’s The Spider Sisters, shot in New York City’s East Village, was declared Cult Hit at the 1993 Arizona International Film Festival (Tucson). His television film Loco Vida was partially funded with grants from the Tucson Pima Arts Council and The Tucson Community Cable Corporation. Two plays written by Hazard have been produced Off-Off Broadway in New York City: Take Off Your Sunglasses at the New York Theatre Ensemble and No Brakes at The American Renaissance Theatre.
Now retired from a long career in the neon sign industry in New York City as well as teaching studio art classes at The University of Toledo, Bowling Green State University and Owens Community College (Perrysburg, Ohio), Hazard continues to create new mixed media and neon fine artworks in his studio.
Previous 20 North Gallery exhibitions including artwork by Philip Hazard
- Painting With Light: December 6, 1996 – January 24, 1997. Click to view exhibit postcard.
- Neon Across America: November 28, 1997 – January 9, 1998. Click to view exhibit postcard.
- New Works, Old Friends: June 9 – July 3, 2010. Click to view exhibit postcard.
- All Gifts Great and Small: November 5, 2010 -January 15, 2011. Click to view exhibit postcard.
- Phil Hazard’s Top 40 Hits: A Retrospective: June 16 – August 6, 2011. Click to view exhibit postcard.
- 20 North/20 Years: April 20 – May 26, 2012. Click to view exhibit postcard.
- Tom & Friends: A Tribute to McGlauchlin’s Legacy in Glass: June 9 – July 14, 2012. Click to view exhibit postcard.
- Art For All Souls: November 2, 2012 – January 12, 2013. Click to view exhibit postcard.
- Luminosity: April 7 – June 30, 2017. Click to view exhibit page.
- Salon: the Collection of Ann Goodridge: April 19 – June 30, 2018. Click to view exhibit page.
- 20 North / 30 Years: April 19 – June 24, 2023. Click to view exhibit page.